How to Get a Library Card
- All individuals who reside or own property in the Township of North Brunswick must use a valid library card or their mobile device (we recommend the Keyring app) with their valid library card barcode on it issued by the North Brunswick Public Library.
- A library card is available for all North Brunswick Library residents. To apply, just bring your government issued photo ID and we’ll set you up. Additionally, some Milltown residents may qualify for a North Brunswick card.
- If you recently moved to North Brunswick and your ID does not reflect the move, you can present the following documents as proof of North Brunswick residency:
- Lease or Rental Agreement
- A utility bill (PSEG, Cablevision, Verizon etc.)
- The Library issues a library card to a person from 3 years old to 14 years of age only with in-person authorization by a parent or guardian. Please note that children’s cards cannot take out DVDs and Video games.
- All resident cards are renewable every three years. To renew, we will need to verify your information with a government issued ID.
Non-North Brunswick residents can obtain cards at any of our partner libraries (LMxAC, MURAL, Open Borrowing). However, if you do not reside in any of the supporting cities and townships, you can obtain a North Brunswick Library Card for a fee of $50.00/year.
Check Your Library Account
Use the library catalog to see which materials you have checked out and when they are due back, to renew library materials, or see if your requests are ready for pickup.
You may check your account from the following locations:
- On the library’s website www.northbrunswicklibrary.org:
- click My Catalog Account on the top menu on any page.
- click the My Account on the quick links section on the left hand side of each page.
- Click on the library catalog web page and click on My Account on the top right corner of the page.
- Call TeleCirc, the library’s 24-hour automated telephone account information and renewal system. @ 732-225-0932
- You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
Renew checked out and/or overdue materials
All circulating materials, except for eReaders, video games and items on hold for another customer, may be renewed 2 times, either in person, online using the library catalog or by calling TeleCirc, the library’s 24-hour automated telephone account information and renewal system @ 732-225-0932. You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
Renew Items Online
- Click on the library catalog web page and click on the My Account link on the top right corner of the page .
- Type your 14 digit library card number and 4 digit PIN on the login pop-up.
- Hit <Enter> or click on Login.
- Click the Checkouts tab on the user account panel.
- Click on the checkbox next to each item you wish to renew or you can click on the checkbox on top of the list to renew all your items at the same time and then click on the Renew button.
- Confirm you want to renew the selected items. The new due date will be displayed next to each title on the Date Due column.
- Note that fines will still be assessed for overdue materials until you renew. Also some materials may not be renewable, i.e items requested by other customers, eReaders or Video Games.
Renew Items by Phone
For phone renewals please call Circulation at (732) 246-3545or by calling TeleCirc, the library’s 24-hour automated telephone account and information renewal system @ 732-225-0932. You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
PLACING A HOLD ON MATERIALS THAT THE LIBRARY DOES OWN
Customers may place their own holds by searching for the item they would like in the Library Catalog. To request an item you will need your 14 digit library card and PIN. Then:
- Complete your search for the item you would like to place a hold.
- Select North Brunswick Public Library from the limit location or database dropdown.
- Select a filter from the Fields dropdown.
- Type in your keywords on the search input box.
- Click Search.
- From the search result list, click on the Place Hold button for the item you would like to request. Note that all the items owned by North Brunswick Public Library have a green background container.
- Confirm your hold(s) on the Place Hold pop up by clicking the Place Hold(s) button.
- You will be notified by email and/or phone when your item is ready for pickup.
- Don’t forget to protect your privacy and logout when you have completed your search session.